Hi everyone, I've had some emails and comments asking me questions about embossing with the rubber packing sheets. I'll share some of the questions I've received and answer them the best I can.
1.Q. Is it necessary to glue two of the patterns together to make an embossing folder?
A. I've cut out single layered shapes and they emboss nicely but, I wanted to make the home made embossing folders a little sturdier so they will last longer and I believe I am getting a deeper emboss.
2. Q. What kind of machine do you use?
A. I use a Cuttlebug manual die cutting machine which embosses and cuts out die shapes but any kind of machine similar to the Cuttlebug will work. If you go to the post " Embossing Without Shims the Cheap Way" you can see a video I made using the Cuttlebug.
3. Q. The embossing mats shown on the internet showed a piece of lace like ribbon being embossed. Can the rubber mats do this?
A. Yes, I have embossed a piece of lace, lace ribbon, and single shapes I cut out using a punch and they all embossed nicely. Here is what I did to emboss the lace.
1. First place an "A" plate, the a "B" plate, lace, card stock, then the rubber packing sheet mat, then a "B" plate. Roll it on through and you should see the pattern of the lace embossed in your card stock.
4. Q. Where can I buy these rubber packing sheets?
A. They can be found in most hardware stores. I know, Lowe's carries them. I believe they are .98 cents a piece. You will need 2 sheet of the 1/16 inch or one 3/32 inch mat.
5. Q. Can I make my own embossing folders?
A. You sure can. You can make them by auto tracing a shape or design you like and welding them together or you can open up a drawing program, make the drawing lines thick and draw a design within the area you want to make an embossing folder. For example: I draw a 4.25 x 5.5 rectangle, draw a design within the perimeters of the rectangle. I place the rectangular shape on a different layer so I can delete it and keep only the design. I save the file as a .png file then auto trace it in the Studio program.
If I can help answer any other questions please feel free to email me or leave a comment and I will try to get it answered a.s.a. p. I hope this question/answer post helps.